
I've been to Melk, Vienna and today Dachau since I last wrote here. I saw an Opera at the Staatopera in Vienna. I stood in the Cathedral Maria and Captain Von Trapp were married in in the movie The Sound of Music. I drank a lot of beer. All have been memorable and incredible, but it's late and I need to sleep, so I'll leave you with very few words, but links to a lot of pictures.

Today, we drove to Munich from Vienna, and stopped at Dachau on the way. It was the first concentration camp the Nazi's built, and was kind of the prototype for the others they did after that. I stood in a shower that doubled as a gas chamber, and stood mere feet from crematory ovens that incinerated thousands and thousands of prisoners. One of the most haunting things there was how green and lush the ground was around the crematorium, and the reason for this is the soil nourishing elements of the ashes.

Tomorrow is our last full day here. We're going to explore Munich and then Monday morning, it's on a plane home for Edna Mae and I, and back to Africa for Elizabeth. But it's been an incredible week, for sure
This is a link to all of my pics so far...

No comments:
Post a Comment